New guidance has been released from The Fire Risk Assessment Competency Council to help property managers and employers choose a competent risk assessor. The guide also offers help to those who choose to do a risk assessment themselves.

It is important to point out that no matter who does your risk assessment the responsible person will ultimately be held accountable for it. Therefore it is vital to choose a risk assessor who is adequate for the job because if the assessment is thought to have been carried out to an insufficient extent; the Responsible Person can face an unlimited fine or up to two years in prison. All commercial properties and workplaces in England and Wales must have a ‘suitable and sufficient’ fire risk assessment carried out under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.

According to the document, duty holders – those who are responsible for premises – may be able to carry out their own fire risk assessment if the site is small or low-risk. However, the guide insists that while there are benefits to doing the assessment in-house, a specialist should be appointed if the duty holder does not have the knowledge or time to comply.

The document can be attained from the BAFE website link below:


Note: Uni-Guard Fire Protection does not carry out risk assessments as it is a conflict of interest with the work we already do particularly when quoting you for work that has been recommended. We do however realise that fire risk assessments are a big part of fire prevention and protection and therefore can recommend people we have used in the past. The new guidance that has been released will hopefully help you in choosing a competent person.




Christmas Holiday Opening Hours 2021 - 2022

Uni-Guard Fire Protection wishes everyone a happy and healthy Christmas ...

Covid-19 November Lockdown

Lockdown measures have been introduced across all of England this ...

Coronavirus (Covid-19) Customer Update 09/06/20

We would like to thank all of our customers for ...