Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /homepages/35/d41989365/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/google-authorship-widget/google-authorship-widget.php on line 25
Large Fire Started by Chinese Lantern | Uni-Guard Fire Protection

A fire in the West Midlands described as one of the largest seen is suspected to have been started by a Chinese lantern.

The fire at a plastic recycling centre in Smethwick started at approximately 23:00 on Sunday 30th June and after reviewing CCTV footage, chief fire officer at West Midlands Fire Service, Vij Randeniya said ‘We believe a Chinese lantern dropped onto some bales of plastic and looking at CCTV it would appear that was the cause.’

Around 200 firefighters were at the site, three of them taken to hospital. The ambulance service said it had treated ‘nine patients for injuries received at the scene’.

The fire caused a plume of smoke 6,000ft high and the fire could be seen miles from the Jayplas depot in Dartmouth Road where the fire began.

An estimated 100,000 tonnes of recycling material and a factory unit were on fire which has now been contained and the fire service expects to be at the site for many days.

Source: http://news.sky.com and http://www.bbc.co.uk/news

Christmas Holiday Opening Hours 2020 - 2021

Uni-Guard Fire Protection wishes everyone a happy and healthy Christmas ...

Covid-19 November Lockdown

Lockdown measures have been introduced across all of England this ...

Coronavirus (Covid-19) Customer Update 09/06/20

We would like to thank all of our customers for ...