Two Oxford residential landlords have been ordered to pay thousands of pounds after they were found to have breached licensing and safety regulations including fire safety breaches.

 The Oxford Times reported Mulazim Hussain and Momodu Chune were ordered to pay £6,730 and £665 respectively, in addition to victims’ surcharges and costs.

Mr Hussain’s property had ten people living in squalid conditions and he had not declared to the local council that the property was a house in multiple occupation (HMO). Thirteen defects including faulty fire doors and no electrical safety certificate were discovered at the property.

Mr Chune also owned a property housing seven people and this property also failed to comply with HMO regulations.  The downstairs smoke alarm was not working and Mr Chune could not produce a gas appliance test certificate.

Oxford City Council has warned that it will come down hard on landlords who do not take their responsibilities seriously and comply with the law. Deputy leader Ed Turner told the Oxford Times: “The majority of landlords do a good professional job but we know in Oxford there is a minority who let their tenants down badly and sometimes put them in danger.”

 

Source: www.fia.uk.com

Christmas Opening Times

Please see below for our opening times over the Christmas ...

Chichester Restaurant Fined Thousands for Breaching Fire Safety Laws

The Wildwood restaurant chain found guilty of four charges under ...

Warning to Businesses after Care Home Fined Following Fire

April 2016 A care group has been sentenced and fined £380,000 ...